[extropy-chat] volcanic gas- origins of life?

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Tue Oct 19 17:03:38 UTC 2004

Thanks, Amara, that was very interesting information.  The nature of
the early Earth is apparently far less understood than I had realized.

NASA announced yesterday that recent observations imply that the
planet formation stage was somewhat different than previously thought,
http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/Media/releases/ssc2004-17/release.shtml.
The implication is that as planetisimals joined to form planets, there
was a longer phase of destruction and rejoining, rather than a relatively
smooth process of accretion.  I suppose this might provide more thorough
mixing of the initial components.

Hal