[extropy-chat] re: Gullible

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 21:13:49 UTC 2004

--- Amara Graps <amara.graps at gmail.com> wrote:

> My Roget's International Thesaurus, Fourth edition, Thomas Crowell
> Co., 1977, pg. 994 gives two related words for gullible: credulous,
> and foolable. I think the latter sounds silly and I don't think
> credulous is
> the proper meaning. However the foolable is closer to the meaning, so
> then going with foolable, we see:
>
> foolable, befollable, gullible, naive, artless, inexperienced, green.
>
> None, with the exception of gullible, is the proper meaning. So,
> then, if you find the replacement word, I am interested to know
> about it. Meanwhile, I guess I will continue to use gullible.

wordreference.com says "Fleeceable", which I think is a suitable
substitute, except of course for the politically incorrect aspersions
as to how easy it is to steal a sheeps fleece....

Of course, thesaurus.reference.com says the following:
9 entries found for gullible.
Entry:  	gullible
Function:  	adjective
Definition:  	trusting
Synonyms:  	believing, bite, born yesterday, credulous, easy, easy
mark, eat up, fall for, fleeceable, foolish, go for, green, innocent,
kid oneself, lap up, mark, naive, patsy, silly, simple, sucker,
susceptible, swallow, swallow whole, taken in, trustful, tumble for,
unskeptical, unsophisticated, unsuspecting, wide-eyed, yoyo
Source:  	Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.5)
Copyright © 2004 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Entry:  	credulous
Function:  	adjective
Definition:  	naive
Synonyms:  	accepting, believing, born yesterday, dupable, easy mark,
fall for, green, gullible, overtrusting, simple, swallow whole, taken
in, trustful, trusting, uncritical, unquestioning, unsophisticated,
unsuspecting, unsuspicious, unwary
Antonyms:  	cynical, disbelieving, incredulous, skeptical, suspecting,
suspicious, untrusting, wary
Source:  	Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.5)
Copyright © 2004 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Entry:  	easy
Function:  	adjective
Definition:  	tolerant
Synonyms:  	accommodating, amenable, benign, biddable, charitable,
clement, compassionate, compliant, condoning, deceivable, deludable,
dupable, easygoing, excusing, exploitable, fleeceable, flexible,
forbearing, forgiving, gentle, gullible, humoring, indulgent, kindly,
lax, lenient, liberal, light, merciful, mild, moderate, mollycoddling,
naive, pampering, pardoning, soft, spoiling, submissive, susceptible,
sympathetic, temperate, tractable, trusting, unburdensome,
unoppressive, unsuspicious
Antonyms:  	harsh, intolerant, stern, strict
Source:  	Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.5)
Copyright © 2004 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Entry:  	green
Function:  	adjective
Definition:  	inexperienced
Synonyms:  	callow, credulous, fresh, gullible, ignorant, immature,
inexpert, ingenuous, innocent, naive, new, raw, unconversant,
unpolished, unpracticed, unseasoned, unskillful, unsophisticated,
untrained, unversed, young, youthful
Source:  	Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.5)
Copyright © 2004 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Entry:  	innocent
Function:  	adjective
Definition:  	naive
Synonyms:  	artless, childlike, credulous, frank, fresh, green,
guileless, gullible, hurtless, ignorant, inexperienced, ingenuous,
innocuous, innoxious, inobnoxious, inoffensive, lily white, low tech,
offenseless, open, raw, safe, simple, soft, square, unacquainted,
unartificial, uncool, unfamiliar, unhurtful, uninjurious, unmalicious,
unobjectionable, unoffensive, unschooled, unsophisticated, unstudied,
unsuspicious, unworldly, well-intentioned, well-meant, wide-eyed,
youthful
Source:  	Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.5)
Copyright © 2004 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Entry:  	naive
Function:  	adjective
Definition:  	childlike
Synonyms:  	aboveboard, artless, callow, candid, confiding,
countrified, credulous, forthright, frank, fresh, green, guileless,
gullible, harmless, ignorant, impulsive, ingenuous, innocent,
innocuous, instinctive, jejune, lamb, natural, open, original, patsy,
plain, simple, simple-minded, sincere, spontaneous, square, sucker,
trusting, unaffected, unjaded, unpretentious, unschooled,
unsophisticated, unsuspecting, unsuspicious, untaught, unworldly,
virgin, wide-eyed
Source:  	Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.5)
Copyright © 2004 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Entry:  	simple
Function:  	adjective
Definition:  	feeble-minded
Synonyms:  	amateur, asinine, backward, blockheaded, brainless,
credulous, dense, dim-witted, dopey, dull, dumb, fatuous, feeble,
foolish, green, gullible, half-witted, idiotic, ignorant, illiterate,
imbecile, inane, inexperienced, inexpert, insensate, mindless, moronic,
nitwitted, obtuse, retarded, senseless, shallow, silly, simple-minded,
slow, soft, stupid, thick, uneducated, unintelligent, witless
Source:  	Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.5)
Copyright © 2004 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Entry:  	stupid
Function:  	adjective
Definition:  	irresponsible
Synonyms:  	brainless, dazed, deficient, dense, dim, dodo, doltish,
dopy, dotterel, dull, dumb, dummy, foolish, futile, gullible,
half-baked, half-witted, idiotic, ill-advised, imbecilic, inane,
indiscreet, insensate, irrelevant, irresponsible, laughable, loser,
ludicrous, meaningless, mindless, moronic, naive, nonsensical, obtuse,
pointless, puerile, rash, senseless, short-sighted, simple,
simple-minded, slow, sluggish, stolid, stupefied, thick, thickheaded,
trivial, unintelligent, unthinking, witless
Source:  	Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.5)
Copyright © 2004 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Entry:  	susceptible
Function:  	adjective
Definition:  	exposed
Synonyms:  	affected, aroused, disposed, easily moved, easy, fall for,
given, gullible, impressed, impressible, impressionable, inclined,
influenced, liable, mark, movable, naive, nonresistant, obnoxious,
open, patsy, persuadable, pigeon, predisposed, prone, pushover, ready,
receptive, responsive, roused, sensible, sensile, sensitive, sentient,
sitting duck, soft, stirred, subject, sucker, suggestible, susceptive,
swallow, swayed, tender, touched, tumble for, vulnerable, wide open
Source:  	Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.5)
Copyright © 2004 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)