[extropy-chat] Re: A slow down in Moore's law?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Oct 21 17:54:18 UTC 2004

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> They passed a provision in the TRA which essentially
> stated that ANY
> company that routed optical fiber to a persons home
> HAD to allow their
> competitors access to that customer for less than
> the cost of putting
> that fiber connection in. Faced with a mandated
> money losing situation,
> the telecoms decided: "Fuck it, we won't put optic
> in." Simple as that.
> Instead, we are left using DSL and Cable Modems
> which, while an
> improvement on 56k dial-up, are still light years
> slower and narrower
> than optic.
>
> This is not my rambling, BTW. At least one other
> list member, who
> worked in the telecom industry during that period,
> first floated that
> on this very list back in '98 and '99. The TRA IS
> the cause of the dot
> com crash.

That may have sparked it, but the crash was waiting to
happen.  Most of the dot coms that died, had no
business plan beyond, "get big and then figure out how
to make money".  They had no or little viable source
of revenue to help them get big, nor even necessarily
one they could tap even if they did grow as hoped.  I
know from personal experience, having served with two
dotbombs during the crash, and this is the same story
I hear from others who worked for dotcoms that died
during that period.