[extropy-chat] Re: Raelians

natashavita at earthlink.net natashavita at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 21 21:33:32 UTC 2004

Ben writes:

>"transhumanism is split into a variety of beliefs that have
>separated themselves from the transhumanist core"

I think you may be misinterpreting the use of “core.”  Transhumanism, as a
philosophy, is a discipline comprising as its “core” -  logic, aesthetics,
ethics, metaphysics, and epistemology. The core would imply the seed of
transhumanity.  A collective would be so incongruous to transhumanism.  So,
let's move away from that line of thinking.

>'is split into a variety of beliefs', maybe, if you want to use the word
>"beliefs", although i would rather not.

Good point.  I should have used "ideas".  However, again, one needn’t be
afraid to use words that can be useful or expressive just because they
“could” trigger something in someone (you) or mean something else in a
different context.  You have to look at the person who is saying them.
Herein, note that the world “belief” is often used in philosophy, as it is
“the most general beliefs, concepts, and attitudes of an individual or
group.”

The issue you are concerned about  - individuality and following a tribe –
are not issues of transhumanity because they simply do not exist in the
philosophy in its core.

Natasha