[extropy-chat] Re: SIAI: Donate Today and Tomorrow

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 23 02:01:35 UTC 2004

I wrote:

> The essay was enough for me to take another quick look at the
> the linked singularity site. There I saw 21 definitions of Friendly
> AI which did not auger well in my view for an ability to produce
> one result - a friendly AI.

I obviously didn't take a very good look or I'd have noticed its 24
definitions not 21 (I think it was 21 last time I looked).

> I read a well written essay but didn't see a clear easy link to "the
> problem" that was being proposed as needing to be solved and my
> predisposition to the view that friendly AI cannot be built that would
> be friendly to everyone and would not just reflect the biases of the
> designer was not removed in the time I was willing to commit.

This criticism was premature. I retract it.

I'd have liked to see more links in the original post but I can't in
fairness say that  a lot of the questions I have don't seem to be
addressed at least in part on the SIAI site.

So my bad, at least in part, for being a bit too lazy.

Looks like the site has had an overhaul and is actually quite well
put together. I'll do some more reading.

Brett