[extropy-chat] looks like Bush will win

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 16:03:07 UTC 2004

Trend, I completely understand your frustration, and found your
explanation of why Bush will win interesting. (Unfortunately I also
think he will probably win, but lets keep finger crossed and hope for
the best, miracles can happen you know).
But I wish to warn you that remarks like this can do more harm than
good to our cause. In the same sentence you are going against
southerners (half of the US population), rural Americans (maybe more
than half), and christians (much more than half). Moreover you equate
southerners and christians with rednecks, a unPC term with negative
connotations.
Now imagine that a columnist of the religious right is reading this
(it maybe the case you know). Tomorrow he can publish an article
quoting your words out of context and with a title like "Extremist
extropian cultists insult the South, Christians, and rural Americans."
Such an article could win a couple of votes to Bush, and if things are
as tight as in 2000 these two votes could even make the difference.
I think as you do but we must all learn, also on our own lists which
perhaps are not so private as we think, to present our arguments
without insulting others.
G.