[extropy-chat] SIAI: Donate Today and Tomorrow

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 24 05:55:06 UTC 2004

--- "J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:

> Rule of Thumb:  If you come up with a simple and obvious solution to
> a problem space that has been thoroughly combed over for many years
by
> people with a great deal of expertise in the field, you are almost
> certainly mistaken about your "solution".  Doubly so if you do not
> have expertise in the theoretical foundations of the field.

Theoretical foundations of a field which has produced exactly zero AIs?
You are saying that I need to first learn about all the ways that
everybody else has been failing for decades before I can have any
meaningful contribution? Perhaps you are right, at least so I'd know
exactly all the ways to NOT create an AI.

Oh, BTW: NO, we don't have enough memory yet today. A brain capable of
remembering details of events dating back decades likely has a data
capacity far in excess of anything existing today, maybe even the NSA.

I can tell you exactly when a human intelligence starts to create the
majority of its basic rules: that precious agen when the child asks
'why' and/or 'can I' about so many things and is told why, or no or
yes, or maybe. From this point on, it is all about experiencing and
associating, and categorizing things in accordance with these rules,
and their later enhancements.

Just look at that dog boy found in Siberia recently: raised by a dog,
he'll never learn language, and never develop any significant
intelligence.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)