[extropy-chat] how partisanship skews perception

Sean Diggins sean at valuationpartners.com.au
Sun Oct 24 06:26:51 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of "Hal Finney"
Being right or wrong on whether Iraq had
WMDs or worked with Al Qaeda makes no difference in how successful the
average person will be in his life.  Given this reality, it is perfectly
reasonable for people to adopt positions on these issues based on what
is convenient or comfortable, rather than on what is true.

--------------------------------
"Blind faith in your leaders will get you killed"
Bruce Springsteen, introducing the song "War".

People who put their head in the sand and utter "I'm alright, Jack" and
then, as you suggest, adopt positions based on untruth, are the moral
equivalent of fascists. The most notable characteristic fascists separation
and persecution or denial of equality to a specific segment of the
population based upon superficial qualities or belief systems. This is
propagated by ignorance and failure to contemplate truth or reality. And you
suggest this is perfectly reasonable? Am I missing something?

Sean