[extropy-chat] re: looks like Bush will win

bphillips211 at sprintpcs.com bphillips211 at sprintpcs.com
Sun Oct 24 14:15:39 UTC 2004

T.O.
   I read statements like the one below and have to ask..
" Is he serious about this or is it just trolling of some kind?"
  I'm a southerner. I speak English with a drawl. I come from
a long line of bible-thumpers (though I'm a rationalist/buddhist sort
myself). And I'm 2 generations off the farm.
 And yet I'm here on this list and a part of the transhumanist
community.
  We could sit in a cafe and discuss music, politics, philosophy,
martial arts.. any number of subjects.. and you might find I'm
far more versed about things that (statistically) I'd expect you to
know next to nothing about. DOubtless you have similar areas of
private expertise.
  There is absolutely no excuse for the sort of post below,
it's irrational in the extreme. Broad generalizations are not
excusable simply by noting the offense just after you
commit it.

Thanks,
Brian

"Looks like Bush will win. Whatever the tally ends up
being, must redneck Southerners be so aggressive with
their culture? They don't like Yankee culture so they
want to push something worse on us? Can't Southern men
be content with their wives & mistresses and other
'nookie'? I swear, the next time a guy with a drawl
approaches to attempt to convert me to Christianity
I'll spit on the ground. I'm totally tired of so many
Southerners trying to inflict their religion on
America; it's not love, it's hate disguised as love.
And they want us to pity them for 140 years ago?
Northerners weren't particularly interested in
abolishing slavery, they bent over backwards to avoid
the war yet Southerners wanted the Feds to guarantee
slavery by using Federal agents to retrieve runaway
slaves-- plus the South wanted other completely
un-Christian measures to be instituted.
Sure, this is all a generalization however I can't
avoid thinking very many Southerners want some sort of
revenge.