[extropy-chat] Constitution Restoration Act will effectively transform the United States...

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 24 17:23:51 UTC 2004

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Umm...actually, no.  The God referred to is as whoever
> is in power happens to define it, especially if they
> claim to have support from a bunch of others (e.g.,
> quoting the Bible or somesuch).  Which means that if
> they believe that your discussion of evolution is
> sinful and should be made illegal, so be it.

Um, actually, no. This is pretty well gone over during the early US.
The "separation of church and state" is a phrase you'll find in the
Communist Manifesto, but not in the Constitution.

The first amendment states:"Congress shall make no law respecting an
establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.."

This only means that congress shall not endorse, subsidize, or
prohibiting the right of any person to exercise the religion of their
choice and/or definition.

Furthermore, the Declaration of Independence specifically stated at its
start that "When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary
for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected
them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the
separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's
God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires
that they should declare the causes which impel them to the
separation."

As numerous scholars have elucidated over the years, the Decl of Ind
and the Constitution are inseparable and interdependent documents, as
each bolsters the cause of the other.

> Those who refer to "God" in this manner often don't
> care for those who promote "Natural Law".  And if you
> object, what could you do?  Your Natural Law has no
> place in the eyes of their God - emphasis on "their".

On the contrary. Whether they believe in my interpretation of reality
is immaterial, so long as we all respect the idea that individual
liberties are not granted by mere men, they originate in our natures.
Whether that nature is a result of evolution, intelligent design, the
Matrix, or divine creation is immaterial to the spirit of comity and
support of the inalienability of individual liberties.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)