[extropy-chat] how sleep deprivation skews perception

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 24 23:44:26 UTC 2004

> Damien Broderick

> ... But since the populations of the `underdeveloped' parts
> of the world are larger and growing faster than the rich remainder, I
> suspect that at least the *proportion* without running water might be
> *increasing*...
>
> Damien Broderick

Hard to say about the proportion, but the absolute number
of humans without running water is surely increasing.
We see this as a great tragedy, but until fairly recently
in history, no one had running water.  Humanity somehow
dealt with it.

As kind of an aside, in the current presidential election
there is a big deal being made about the shortage of flu
vaccine.  This struck me as so odd, for it is not clear
what a US president has to do with the availability of a
vaccine.  Does he have a vaccine staff?  (Hey you guys,
get a bucket, and somebody get those germy things so we can,
you know, distillerate it or whatever we do to get vaccines.)

No.  In any case people seem to be all in a dither because
they may miss their flu shot this year.  But until a few
years ago no one had a flu shot.  Somehow we managed to
cope.  We will again.