[extropy-chat] anticipointed?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sat Oct 30 18:10:42 UTC 2004

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> We should coin a term which means the nearly
> universal
> experience of anticipating some really great future
> technology, but then finding when it arrives that it
> isn't nearly as wicked cool as we thought it would
> be.
>
> Anticipointment?

"Confusing the anticipated form of a technology with
the typically crude early actualizations of the same,
and the resulting disappointment."

E.g., talking to a machine capable of voice
recognition today, as opposed to having a true
conversation with a machine that could pass the Turing
Test.

Hold your horses.  Just because Robbie The Robot isn't
available today doesn't mean this will always be the
case, even if machines can "converse" in a very
limited sense today.  (There's been a recent series of
commercials spoofing that, where human customers are
having a face to face conversation with human sales
representatives, but the sales reps talk like a phone
menu and the customers just say "boop" or "beep" in
emulation of phone tones.)