[extropy-chat] more moore

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Wed Sep 1 06:36:31 UTC 2004

Spike wrote:

>Wooohooo!  The party is not over!  {8-]  s

They might possibly be able to produce more power full chips. But will
there still be a reason to buy them?

My motherboard recently came to a halt, and I had to choose whether if I
should upgrade the entire machine, or just the motherboard.

I choose the motherboard only solution, as my 1.2 GHz machine is already
plenty fast for my needs.

I can watch and edit video at professional quality, compose music, play
a few games and generally do what I need to. So why should I buy a
faster chip at a higher price?

Generally I believe there is natural technological plateau for most of
the current technological tasks.

    bussines (text editing/spreadsheets) -> music -> video -> vr games etc.

Bussines computers have already been fast enough for a while for typical
use. We will soon have chips at a level where all current tasks can be
done on a cheap system. Why then bother to pay more?

I think that new technology is needed before there will be a great need
for much faster computers.

regards Max M Rasmussen, Denmark