[extropy-chat] more moore

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 1 09:01:24 UTC 2004

Eugen wrote:

> Current machines are too slow for real time body capturing from video.

This is, I think, an area where progress on life-enhancing tech could be
most accelerated.

Spike mentioned protein folding, but any sort of modelling and graphical
touring of biological and cellular processes that can put cheaper richer
education tools in front of more people is likely to be all too the good.

Humans learn faster with richer sources of information than text books,
dissection labs and microscopes etc.

We are fighting the wrong war on the wrong terror the wrong way. We
should be putting visually rich and accurate integratable virtual learning
environments in front of school kids.

Let them see 3D graphical models of cells functioning normally and going
cancerous. Let them play not just with 2D pictures at various scales but
with systems, organs, tissues, cells.

There is a war against a common enemy (disease) that has been going
on for all of human history and one of the reasons we are so bad at fighting
it is because we are fighting blind.

The sort of tools we have for modelling cellular and subcellular processes
are still far less than they could be and are still not distributed widely
enough.

Faster computers could give us eyes to see where we can't currently see.

We know how to look we just haven't yet worked out what is worth
looking at.

Brett Paatsch