[extropy-chat] The most "dangerous" idea

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 2 06:54:17 UTC 2004

--- Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Really, the idea that we need to be the same to be
> treated with equal
> consideration, and to treat each other with equal
> consideration, is a
> very poor basis for a system of ethics. For a start,
> it's never been
> true; we are all different, with different innate
> abilities, strengths
> & weaknesses.

This is probably the best counter-argument, if he is
proposing "social equality requires physical
equality".  Indeed, social equality has largely been
established *IN SPITE OF* physical differences.
Introducing new physical differences - especially if
their nature (affordability, et al) dictates that they
be available to all, as is our aim - seems absurdly
unlikely to introduce new social differences.

> wonder whether it is
> because he feels he has a great intellectual
> investment in knowledge
> of the history of humanity, and that this would be
> rendered useless in
> a setting that cast aside the great axioms of
> history, like that
> humans are all essentially the same, regardless of
> colour, creed, etc
> etc.

Even a transhuman is still a sentient unit.  One with
vastly different properties, perhaps, but probably
less alien (at least in the near term, which is all
that "alien" reliably measures anyway) than certain
members of all too human tribes and cults today.