[extropy-chat] The most "dangerous" idea

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 2 21:08:08 UTC 2004

--- Samantha Atkins <samantha at objectent.com> wrote:
> Us vs Them develops when there are such difference
> between the groups
> that there is little mutual understanding and when
> there are
> conflicting needs or agendas.  One such conflict is
> when one or both
> groups sees the other as a threat that must be
> eliminated.

*nods*  Not saying this won't happen.  Just that it
need not always happen - like, say, by trying to
develop mutual understanding or find ways to make the
needs/agendas not conflict, before resorting to
destroying the other group.

> In
> transhumanist terms those without various levels of
> augmentation/life
> extension/intelligence enhancement and so on will
> consider those who do
> have it as deadly vastly more competitive threats
> UNLESS the technology
> is either available to all or seen as seriously
> improving everyone's
> lifes and well-being at a very concrete level.

And aren't the enhancements we're trying to get
developed aimed at improving the lives of those who
have them?  So, make sure that everyone can have them,
and that their benefits are easily seen by everyone
(which shouldn't be too hard, once there are real
examples to point to), and there we go.