[extropy-chat] SETI: First radio signal from alien

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 3 14:18:14 UTC 2004

> Amara Graps
> >>
> >>http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/837354.cms
>
> >Zero, this article is revving my skeptic-engine.  They list
> >Dr. Korpela as a "SETI scientist", but all the google hits
> >on him show only his involvement with SETI at home.
>
> >Zen koan: SETI at home and SETI are two very different things.
> >spike
>

> Don't worry Spike, Eric is a 'real' astronomer!  Try the NASA
> ADS, if you
> are unsure.

I don't doubt Eric Korpela is a real scienist Amara.  The
article got my attention when it said a SETI scientist
was all spun up, which made me think Dr. Jill Tarter's
organization was endorsing this signal.  That's why I
googled and found Dr. Korpela was big in SETI at home, but
it didn't say he was with SETI.  SETI is super careful,
very experienced and skeptical.  I don't know much about
SETI at home.