[extropy-chat] SPACE: Will Frances destroy the remaining three shuttles?

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Fri Sep 3 20:10:49 UTC 2004

Having watched this situation, and this thread, I can add the
following...

The VAB is magnificent, have seen it as others attest, wonderful.
However- Even if it really can withstand Cat5, it can't withstand a
Cat3 roof being torn from somewhere else gapping one of its walls. The
newer buildings, including the Orbiter Processing Facility (yes,
Atlantis, Discovery and Endeavor are all parked inside in varying
states as stated) which is only built to Cat3.

NASA vehicles are self-insured, unlike commercial vehicles. We could
only hope that next years allocated shuttle funds would be diverted
into a new program such as the Crew Exploration Vehicle.

I have heard the storm surge was at 12 feet. Not sure how that stacks
against the remark of a nine foot KSC elevation. Don't like the way it
sounds.

Lastly, my understanding is that you can't bump a shuttle around too
much. If one gets knocked off a pylon or such, they would have to x-ray
every square inch of the airframe for microfracture, etc. etc. I don't
know if an Orbiter damaged by a storm would fly again. My guess is that
if two of three are damaged, the third would not fly again lacking a
backup/rescue capacity as per the Accident Investigation Board. Or I
don't remember that properly. Ah, Fridays.

I'll have my fingers crossed with coffee tomorrow.

Bret Kulakovich

ps - anyone considering attendance at next years return-to-flight?