[extropy-chat] SETI: First radio signal from alien

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 22:54:16 UTC 2004

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What I find so intriguing is that they say that
> every time you lock
> onto the signal, it is at that 1140 ghz freq (?) and
> then it hunts
> around 30 or so hz range. That it always starts at
> this freq no matter
> when you start listening, implies to me that it
> might be an example of
> an entangled photon FTL comm device, that it
> instantaneously senses
> when someone is listening and starts shifting its
> freq then. Perhaps
> the physicists here could comment on this
> possibility...

Might the so called "frequency drift" associated with
SHGb02+14a actually be purposeful frequency modulation
of a repeating message similar to FM broadcasts of
earth radios? I know that normal modulation of a
carrier signal would probably be in a much more narrow
frequency band, but might not doppler effects on a
transmitter traveling at relativistic speeds produce a
similar broadening of the modulation range of such an
artificial signal? I do think it might be prudent to
determine what characteristics a fast moving FM
broadcast would have from 1000 ly away.

Also I am curious why SETI scientists think that
extraterrestrial civilazations would use the frequency
of absorption/emmision of hydrogen to attempt to
communicate with us. Wouldn't this make their signal
seem like a needle in a haystack rather than making it
conspicuous? Wouldn't it make more sense to use a
frequency that would stand out against natural radio
sources?

=====
The Avantguardian

"He stands like some sort of pagan god or deposed tyrant. Staring out over the city he's sworn to . . .to stare out over and it's evident just by looking at him that he's got some pretty heavy things on his mind."