[extropy-chat] Are the developed nations fleeing into virtualreality?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 08:25:17 UTC 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 00:51:53 -0700, Zero Powers <zero.powers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes and no.  Sure, there are some types of communication where F2F is
> a big plus, primarily romantic relationships come to mind.  E-mail,
> telephone, IM, even video-conferencing can't say "I love you" like a
> smile and a twinkle in the eye coupled with a kiss on the lips.
>
> But for casual friendships and even business relationships, our
> technology is up to the task.  In my business I've had clients for
> years that I've never met.  They mail me a file, I do my work, mail
> them a bill and they send me a check.  I've talked to them on the
> phone, corresponded through the mail and increasingly by email.  But
> F2F?  For a handful of my clients, never.
>
> Obviously that kind of relationship won't work in every industry, but
> in mine it works just fine.  And the tech will only improve.  I
> remember reading somewhere that Ray Kurzweil gave a speech in another
> country somewhere using some sort of holographic videoconferencing
> system.  Give me something like that and I'd *never* have to leave the
> house.

You can already use your webcam to make video phone calls if both pcs
are set up with the appropriate software. New 3D screens in the
pipeline will improve this even more.

F2F is required for romantic relationships. But have you noticed that
more and more people are choosing to live on their own? Bachelor flats
for both men and women are increasingly popular. They still meet for
liaisons, I have heard :), but they want their own space to live in.
One of the reasons Friday and Saturday nights are becoming nogo areas
in UK cities is because of they are now drunken, testosterone
semi-riots, full of youngsters fighting and sexual liaisons, with the
police vainly trying to keep some control.

Modern life seems to be moving towards only going out when absolutely
necessary.
If you don't go out, you don't need to get your car fixed. :)

BillK