[extropy-chat] Re: Why bet only imaginary money?

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sun Sep 5 01:16:16 UTC 2004

On Sep 4, 2004, at 8:53 PM, Brett Paatsch wrote:

> Harvey Newstrom wrote:
>
>> Why do people want a futures market anyway?  Aren't all the big
>> technology players already in the the existing markets, so that
>> anybody
>> can invest in the technologies they want already?
>
> If it was possible to bet against some transhumanists who make wild
> technological claims then their would be a way of winnowing out those
> that know what they are talking about from those that don't. The
> scientists
> would stand out from the pseudoscientists.
[....]

I wish.

But I think you misunderstood my question.  I know why you want a
market.  What I am asking is what's wrong with the markets that already
exist.  Why can't we use those markets to invest in technology and test
our theories?  Why do we need a new market, and what would make it
different?

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP, ISSAP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC