[extropy-chat] Re: [extropy-chat Digest] Timeshifting

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Sep 5 19:30:52 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 03:01:19PM +0100, ben wrote:

> Well, seeing as we are constantly making models of the world, including
> other people, in our puny minds, i think that is almost certain to be true!

You think, and therefore others are saved. If others think, maybe you're
saved, too? Mutual modelling fund! Jesus saves!!1

I think advanced aliens/$DEITY are thinking it, and therefore you might have
been saved already!!! Or is it simulating? Nevermind. I can FEEL it.

Halelluja! Welcome to the Universal Church of Simulation Argument!

> I had never thought of it this way before, always imagining the 'sim'
> argument to apply to something like the equivalent of somebody playing a
> computer game, or doing some lab work.
> Now it occurs to me that we are just somebody's daydream! (which,
> ironically, would make the god-squad correct in a lot of their beliefs)

Leave the religion part to the establishement. They do it much better, having quite a
routine by now.

> ... can you hear the sound of collapsing nested realities, as some
> superbeing rouses itself from an idle daydream, to go and do some real work?

That's the right cue. How about some real work, indeed?