[extropy-chat] [Pigdog] Fwd: Extropian Trash (fwd from thespian at doitnow.com)

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 00:16:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:11:56 +1200, Paul Bridger <paul.bridger at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's almost like a parody of the fact-free ad-hominem attack rant.
> Very amusing. :)
>
> Paul Bridger

The funny thing is, that if you go read the rest of her articles on
AltNet, she's very pro tech, pro science, for instance she's against
stem cell research bans. Her stuff boils down to an essentially vapid,
too-cool-to-be-cool more-ironic-than-thou attitude overload, heavily
interspersed with I-bought-an-iPod-aren't-I-cool masquerading as
god-this-new-iPod-is-so-lame. But she is a bone-fide technophile,
(although she'd probably deny that).

The heavy reaction to extropians... well we do give off a terribly
culty smugness. Everyone's first reaction seems to be a similar
revulsion, except maybe if you are a native of California. Sadly, I
think the techno-worship and elite-is-good memes are hiding the real
stuff, the ideas about morphological freedom and the ensuing
ramifications for humanism based on the idea of a fluid human nature.
And that'll continue, because the interesting ideas of transhumanism
are subtle, while the superficial stuff is, of course, all available
in easily digestable sound-bites and meme-blobs.

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *