[extropy-chat] [Pigdog] Fwd: Extropian Trash (fwdfromthespian at doitnow.com)

Zero Powers zero.powers at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 08:22:16 UTC 2004

Gina:

As Emlyn pointed out earlier, she is really every bit the techie.  But
she's also a professional opinion giver.  She earns her keep by giving
opinions that sell.  I have no problem with that.  It's better than
being a crime boss.  But the fact is that you are not going to get her
to retract her stated opinions, not matter how reasonable and eloquent
your response to her article.  That just wouldn't sell.

My guess is that she's probably lurking this list and, if you want her
to know you think she's full of it, you probably have nothing to do
other than post your opinion here.

Bottom line for her is she has to write opinions her editors and
readers consider to be reasonable.  Given the fairly wide-spread
pejorative descriptions given of Extropians (and even such "main
stream" figures as Eric Drexler), she would likely be written off as a
looney by her higher-ups (not to mention her "public") if she came out
in support of Extropians.  The path she has taken is the safe one, and
the only reasonable one she can take if she expects to continue
earning a living as a professional opinion giver.

My advice: Don't waste your time responding to her.  Your energies
would be much better spent putting together the next installment of
Nanogirl News (which I, for one, always look forward to).

Zero