[extropy-chat] re: A view on cryonics

ben benboc at lineone.net
Sun Sep 12 21:07:04 UTC 2004

Brett Paatsch wrote:

"some of them, like me, are not going for it because they are confident
that it cannot work. And their confidence I think comes not from
conservatism but from an understanding of biology."

Lord Kelvin's belief (i think it was him) that the sun could only burn
for 6000 years or so was based on his good understanding (for the time)
of physics. He wasn't to know that the sun isn't actually made out of coal.

The one thing that has struck me most forcibly about biology is how very
little we know. I went to college over 20 years ago to do a biochemistry
degree, and got some inkling of how ignorant we were then. I now feel,
if anything, even more ignorant 20-odd years later; not because of what
i have forgotten, but because of what i have learned since.

I still say now what i used to say then, but with even more conviction:
The more i learn, the more i realise just how little i've learned.

Your pessimism regarding the feasibility of cryonics is understandable,
but i don't think it is justified. We simply don't know enough to make
that kind of decision at this point in time. Personally, i think cryonic
suspension remains "the second worst thing that could happen".

Please don't take this as a personal attack on your knowledge, or an
insult, it's not, and it also applies to me and to everyone else, but
your understanding of biology is miniscule. I think it was Einstein who
said something about scratching about at the beach looking at the sand,
when the great ocean of truth was just yards away. He was talking about
physics, but it applies even more to biology. We're still just
scratching the surface.

OK, after reading more of that thread, maybe i'm getting the wrong end
of the stick about your objection:

"...you think that you can in some sense survive as a sort of
disembodied pattern despite the fact that all the cells that make you up
are destroyed in order to determine that pattern. "

This is an interesting line of thought. What is a disembodied pattern?
Can there be such a thing? It sounds a bit like the traditional
christian concept of a soul. Clearly that concept is nonsense. Even if
it could exist, 'the soul' couldn't possibly represent 'you' in any
meaningful way. Why would evolution have come up with the most complex
machine in the known universe, if it wasn't necessary to embody a mind?

I don't see how a pattern can be disembodied. It must be embodied in
something. The important thing, for a mind, is whether it is embodied in
a static medium, as a 'recording', or in an active one, in which it can
continue to process information, and, effectively, 'live'.

The destruction of the cells you mention is happening all the time,
anyway. Human bodies are like those clouds that hang around mountain
tops. It looks like the same cloud from one minute to the next, but in
fact it is composed of different water molecules all the time, as they
flow into the low-pressure region, condense, then evaporate again as the
wind carries them out of the cloud. The cloud IS the pattern. But it is
not a disembodied pattern. It couldn't exist without the wind and the
water molecules. We are the same, except vastly more complex.

If you think that only a biological substrate can handle the complexity
of the pattern of a human mind, that's another argument. Feel free to
start it :-).

"there is no evidence anywhere ever that a homo sapiens can survive
separate from the cellular substrate that makes up their brain."

Of course not. Not yet, there isn't. There was no evidence anywhere ever
that homo sapiens could survive in the vacuum of space, or at the bottom
of the sea, or that we could fly above the clouds, not until we did
those things. The absence of proof that you can do something is not
proof that you cannot do it.

I would agree that a mind cannot exist without something to embody it,
but not that that something has to be a biological brain (or even a
cellular structure, but who says we couldn't make artificial cells,
anyway?).

Human bodies and brains *are machines* (do you deny this?). It's no more
startling to expect that the mind could be implemented on a different
machine than it is to expect that a digital watch can do the same job as
a water clock (Of course, there's no denying that a digital watch
requires a completely different level of technology to a water clock).

ben