[extropy-chat] SETI: First radio signal from alien

Alan Eliasen eliasen at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 14 20:22:14 UTC 2004

Spike wrote:
> Anyone here up to speed on SETI at home?  Are they
> careful to never give out the same segment multiple
> times?

   From their FAQ:

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/faq.html#q3.10

Q:  Is it likely that so many people sign up that you won't always have enough
Arecibo data to feed all the clients? If so, how will this be handled?

A:  It's possible. Up to a point, we will handle it by sending the same data
to more than one user. Beyond that, if we can afford it, we will set up
another data recorder at Arecibo and record a wider frequency range (our
current system records only 2.5 MHz out of SERENDIP's 100 MHz bandwidth).

---

   If you carefully read their science results, they now usually send out all
results for testing at least twice, as they have more computational capacity
at hand than they do raw data.

--
  Alan Eliasen                 | "You cannot reason a person out of a
  eliasen at mindspring.com       |  position he did not reason himself