[extropy-chat] Mature rationality

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 06:14:29 UTC 2004

I have many examples. Often you know that you do X better (X = sport,
business meeting, sex, ...) if you work yourself in a dreamy state of mind
where it is the only thing that matter so you give it total concentration
(they call this "flow" these days). But the belief that winning the dart
game at the pub is the most important thing in the world is irrational,
isn't it? (it is not so terribly important and there are probably other
things that you should be using your time for).
Sometimes when you want to achieve an objective you may choose to work
yourself in a positive state of mind where you firmly believe that you will
achieve it. This belief is irrational when you know that probabilities are
against you. But believing that you will win gives you some kind of positive
energy that (as far as the outcome does depend on how you play) actually
increases your chances.
I think we can make examples in artistic creation (I am not the right person
to do it as I have no artistic talent).
Sometimes you are just happier if you let yourself believe, for a little
while, things that you know are probably not correct. Being happier
energizes you and makes you perform better in other things.
In summary I think rationality is one of many behaviour modes that we can
choose, probably the best one most of the times but not the only one. The
best thing to do would be choosing (rationally) whether you want to think
and act rationally or not in a given situation (using for example what Greg
Egan calls "outlooks").
G.