[extropy-chat] Mature rationality

Zero Powers zero.powers at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 07:10:12 UTC 2004

I think I see what you are getting at.  But I would not call that
being irrational.  In fact, making yourself believe you can win the
race even though you know you are running against a record-holder
seems quite rational given the fact that faith in success is one of
the prime components of a successful outcome.

I'm not really much of a runner, and before a couple years ago had
never done *any* distance running.  Having reached my 40th birthday I
decided it was now or never time for me to run a marathon.  There were
many, many times throughout my months of training where everything
seemed to demonstrate to me that I'd never be able to do it.  But I
kept convincing myself I could do it, and surrounded myself with
people who also encouraged me in that belief.  I am certain that if I
gave into the reasonable (if not rational) doubts about my chances of
success I would have given up on the training and quit long before
race day.

I did everything I could to convince myself that my self-doubts were
unfounded, even though those doubts had a very rational basis.  But
the whole time I was convincing myself I fully realized that my faith
in my success would make it that much more likely that I'd actually be
able to do it.  I guess we could argue about it, but its seems to me
that I was being very rational in my self-motivational techniques,
rather than irrational.

Zero