[extropy-chat] ONLY 1.1 BILLION YEARS LEFT!

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 13:58:29 UTC 2004

AlwaysOn and Viewpoint West Partners: "Another
interesting scenario is of course The Singularity.
This term has a number of interpretations and
refinements, like: 'a future time when societal,
scientific and economic change is so fast we cannot
even imagine what will happen from our present
perspective, and when humanity will become
posthumanity.' Some, like Vernor Vinge, go even
further in discussing 'Intelligence Amplification' in
the 'Post Human', i.e. Post Singularity, era where
life is infinitely long. Intelligence Amplifiers, by
the way, are future networks of huge capacity with
incredible human / computer interaction. Vernor
relates: '...This 'problem' about immortality comes up
in much more direct ways. The notion of ego and
self-awareness has been the bedrock of the hardheaded
rationalism of the last few centuries. Yet now the
notion of self-awareness is under attack from the
Artificial Intelligence people ('self-awareness and
other delusions'). Intelligence Amplification
undercuts our concept of ego from another direction.
The post-Singularity world will involve extremely
high-bandwidth networking. A central feature of
strongly superhuman entities will likely be their
ability to communicate at variable bandwidths,
including ones far higher than speech or written
messages. What happens when pieces of ego can be
copied and merged, when the size of a selfawareness
can grow or shrink to fit the nature of the problems
under consideration? These are essential features of
strong superhumanity and the Singularity. Thinking
about them, one begins to feel how essentially strange
and different the Post-Human era will be -- _no matter
how cleverly and benignly it is brought to be_ ...'
Surely, the Post Humans can figure out how to deal
with a Red Giant, right? If not, then I'd love to be
in the moving box business in about a billion years,
assuming there is somewhere to actually move to."
http://www.alwayson-network.com/comments.php?id=5731_0_5_0_C#215171095188533
http://www.vpwpartners.com/2004/09/only_11_billion.html