[extropy-chat] Neuro links

Alex Ramonsky alex at ramonsky.com
Thu Sep 16 09:01:08 UTC 2004

Hello!
The synaptic cleft (the actual 'gap' bit of the gap) is about 10 to 20
nm across. (The synaptic 'gap' is the space between and the membranes
both sides, so about 20-30nm) A single vesicle full of neurotransmitter
is about 50nm in diameter, and fits at least 10,000 molecules of
transmitter inside. It has to really move its ass and if the gap were
any bigger, we'd probably all have been eaten waiting for the fight
flight response to happen  :  )
Diameter of neurons varies from  4 micron (granule cell) to 100 micron
(motor neuron in cord)
(Diameter of neuron nucleus = 3 to 18 micron).
The plasma membrane itself is about 5nm.
Diameter of microtubule = 20-25 nm
Diameter of neurofilament = 7-10 nm
...But the density of neurons is an individual thing, and will vary from
area to area in each individual, and throughout that individual's
lifetime. An individual who regularly uses all bits of the brain a lot
will really pack 'em in, especially in bits like the hippocampus.
Einstein's looked like someone had tried to shove far too much macaroni
into a very small pot.
So if you want more elbow room for your bots, choose an extraordinarily
stupid subject, preferably with dendritic shrinkage already, big
ventricles and a small hippo.
...Like, almost any celebrity?  :  )
Otherwise, why not consider designs that are long and thin? Things that
could go UP axons ...Nanoworms. (Cue for a bad sci fi movie where
nanoworms infest everyone's brains and the hero invents the first
intrathecal anthelmintic, but cannot tell anybody because you cannot
pronounce that over the telephone).
...Please accept my apologies; I have been awake for a very long time.
I'll stop now.
Best,
AR