[extropy-chat] Moveon.org

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Fri Sep 17 01:47:36 UTC 2004

 (9/16/04 12:45) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

> the fact is that MoveOn.Org advocates for the partial or
>full nationalization of one or more sectors of our economy

And they're campaigning against an administration that has done more to curtail our civil liberties and to institute a de facto Christian theocracy in this country than any 20th century administration.  Go them!  (Hint: Remember that on the Nolan chart, both the liberals and the conservatives each have "half of libertarianism."  Considering how badly the House Republicans have fscked up the federal budget, I see no real difference between them and the so-called tax-and-spend Democrats. With that axis of the Nolan chart is out of play, the Democrats as the only real choice in this election.)

Also, one thing that BillK implied, but didn't outright say, about MoveOn is that they have made an interesting experiment in decentralized fundraising efforts - essentially trying to perfect what the Dean campaign clumsily tried to accomplish.  That, in and of itself gives me hope that others are starting to think in terms of self-organizing systems in real world.

Brent
--
Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein