[extropy-chat] Moveon.org

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 17 02:44:53 UTC 2004

--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:

>  (9/16/04 18:00) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >You can reproduce EVERY aspect of a regular legal marriage with
> >contract law and business partnership agreements, except ONE: social
> >security benefits inheritance.
>

> Not true.  Try going to the hospital, even with a health care power
> of attorney, to sit at the bedside of someone who isn't in your
> immediate family. The HCPA will let you see their doctor, but the
> doctor will keep you from seeing your partner.  Seen that. Very ugly.

POWER OF ATTORNEY Ever heard of it? With a living will, your power of
attorney assignee has the authority to visit you to ascertain your
level of care. Problem is you (or whoever you are talking about) didn't
use the right code words. You don't say "I'm his gay partner", you say
"I'm his power of attorney". Gay partner doesn't mean shit, sorry to
say, but power of attorney holds the keys to the kingdom.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)