A view on cryonics (was Re: [extropy-chat] Bad Forecasts!)

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Sep 17 14:39:12 UTC 2004

Slawomir Paliwoda wrote:

>  That's why I talk about the concept of tangible mind process that
>  serves as a container for intangible subjective experience. Defining
>  the nature of subjective experience is not necessary to define
>  personal identity. If we recognize that subjective experience,
>  whatever it is, happens inside a computational substrate of the mind,
>  i.e., inside a physical object whose location in space and time can
>  always be measured, we can conclude that personal identity is rooted
>  in the uniqueness of the mind process in space-time.

It seems that no matter which aspect of this topic is being discussed,
your belief is that there is a Unique Identity that is continuous and
preserved.

Let's set aside the technical/philosophical aspects for a moment.  How
would it feel to *find out* that you are the copy?  How would it feel to
*be* the copy?  Why?

- Jef