A view on cryonics (was Re: [extropy-chat] Bad Forecasts!)

Slawomir Paliwoda velvethum at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 19 19:38:27 UTC 2004

> "Slawomir Paliwoda" <velvethum at hotmail.com>
>
> > I'm talking about the trajectories of everything that
> > contributes to emergence of mind.
>
> So you’re talking about the path through space-time of everything that
made
> my mind what it is today, that would include all the atoms that have ever
> made up my body

No. I'm absolutely not talking about trajectories of everything that has
ever contributed to sculpting a mind pattern to what it is now, but
everything (=all the matter flows in space and time, aka, mind process) that
contributes to emergence of mind, right now. When I think of what that is, I
don't think exclusively about the information that describes the structure
of the brain, but about the activity of matter (electrons, atoms) moving in
space and time that produces things like thoughts and consciousness.

In order for me to form a thought "I am", or any other thought, that can
only happen as a result of electrical impulses traveling through the web of
neural network, or, more generally, as a flow of matter in space-time. That
same thought could not be formed in the information itself. Mind does not
emerge inside a static data about the configuration of matter in the brain,
but as a result of *action* that matter performs which can only be described
using parameters of space and time. That's why, when I think of what mind
is, I imagine it as a process, not as the information about configuration of
matter that allows that process to take place.

Slawomir