[extropy-chat] Re: identity and copies, yet again

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 19 20:25:38 UTC 2004

> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Re: identity and copies, yet again
>
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:48:29 +0100, Sim Bamford wrote:
> >
> > If a group of friends whom you trust completely sat you
> > down today and convinced you that actually you were a copy of
> > Mike Lorrey, not the original, would you kill yourself?

No of course not. I would *want* a copy of me to exist.  We like
us.  We could entertain ourselves for hours, just telling each
other jokes for which we already know the punchlines.  If I
could have a *female counterpart* otherwise identical copy,
now that could *really* be a lotta fun.  {8^D

Furthermore, I would reason that if I were a actually a copy
of me, the original me would reason likewise and would want
me to exist.  I wouldn't want to disappoint myself by slaying
me, would we?