[extropy-chat] the "singularity" word

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 07:52:59 UTC 2004

Imagine that next week they announce a new phone system/devices, based
on a combination of wi-fi, umts and satphones, with sufficient
bandwidth for high quality real time video/audio streams, and a price
sufficiently low to be affordable by all those who can afford a mobile
phone now. Result: instant video communications with a large subset of
humankind.
What does it liik like to us? More of the same: we are prepared to these things.
What would it look like to people two or three generations ago? A
singularity: something that radically changes the texture of everyday
life.
Analogously, imagine that in a few decades they announce a cheap
genetic mod to equip all newborns with implants to decode/encode
thoughts and push/pull encoded/decoded thoughts to/from the global
net. In other words, instant telepathy for all people. Looks like a
singularity to us but *they* will be prepared since they will have
seen already other advances in this direction. So probably it will
look like more of the same to them.
G.