[extropy-chat] moveon.org

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 23 03:53:11 UTC 2004

BTW, a misanthrope doesn't necessarily hate humanity, he or she might
only mistrust humanity. You have read of hermits residing in remote
locales living to be 102 years old, even though they smoke pipes or chew
tobacco, drink whiskey. These long-lived hermits have no attorneys,
alimony, accountants, telemarketers, junk mail to put in the recycling
bin, and so forth. The simplicity of living a rural life is not so much
what is of interest here, it is the peace of mind that comes from not
being surrounded by those who want a piece of you, who want to sell you
something, want a shoulder to sob on, an empathetic ear to describe
their problems in the smallest detail.
 >Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] moveon.org
 >I've never actually
>seen anyone *claim* to be a misanthrope. Did some joker
>get on your computer and pull a gag? {8^D

>spike

OK well I hope I live long, but not so long that I begin to mistrust
humanity.

I have a lot of trust in humanity.  I trust every human to act in her
own
best interest and the best interest of her offspring.  I trust people to
be greedy, for I do not see that as a negative thing.  I want to see
legal systems set up so that it works best when everyone looks out
for number 1.

In regards to your long lived hermits, I am encouraged, for I have no
attorney, no alimony, no accountant, no telemarketers (any more).
I do have junk mail and a recycling bin, but it doesn't bother me in
the least.  If that is their secret to a long life, I *might* live long
enough to see the singularity.

Do think of another word besides misanthrope however.  It carries
too many negative connotations to refer to just the reclusive.

{8-]  spike