[extropy-chat] If the nonUS citizens voted in Nov 2 elections...

Eliezer Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Fri Sep 24 20:03:10 UTC 2004

Brian Lee wrote:
> I think one of the important priciples of democracy is that only members
> of a given set vote as they have a vested interest. It's rather foolish
> to allow non-citizens to vote as their concerns are unlikely to coincide
> with the concerns of the society holding the vote.
>
> We'd get all sorts of wackiness like landslide elections that
> redistribute all wealth away from US/Europe into poorer countries, etc.
>
> BAL

Would it be so terribly dreadful if the rest of the planet got 10 seats in
the House of Representatives?  It might go a long, long way toward easing
anti-American resentment, and maybe even bringing a faint tinge of sanity
to this country's foreign policy.  I think at least 30% of the hatred out
there is due to America's - no, Dubya's, let's give credit where it's due -
way of appearing to just *completely not care* what the rest of the world
thinks.