[extropy-chat] FWD [PvT] Re: Anti-hurricane engineering

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 11:26:27 UTC 2004

--- "J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2004, at 1:42 PM, Johnius wrote:
> > 	A low-cost, low-energy way to eliminate the warm surface water,
> > 	where it would otherwise soon be feeding a hurricane or other
> > 	tropical disturbance, is to cause the water to 'turn over.'
> > 	This is done by pumping compressed air down toward gulf or sea
> > 	bottom and releasing it. The cooler waters come to the top and
> > 	the hurricane loses its energy over them to become disorganized
> > 	squalls."
>

> Where do you dump the very substantial waste heat from the pumping
> operation?  This idea reads as thermodynamically untenable to me.

If it were so, then OTEC systems could never generate any power. Fact
is that the pumping generates negligible waste heat, and even then, the
secret is *DILUTION*. Since all the energy that inputs a hurricane from
the ocean is within a meter or two of the surface, what this plan
merely does is dilute that heat with a much greater volume of water
that wells up from the depths at freezing temperatures.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)