[extropy-chat] Redistribution of wealth

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 01:35:51 UTC 2004

--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:

> This for those of you who still believe that the Republicans are the
> party of small government and for those of you who have issues with
> states that rely on the federal government for handouts.
>
> http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2004/09/red_states_feed.html

I'll note that NH gets the third least amount of federal money ($0.68)
for each federal tax dollar paid. We don't have seat belt laws, we
don't have helmet laws, we tell the feds with regularity to keep their
stinking federal money. We also don't like paying state taxes either.
We've cut state property tax rates by 40% in the last two years under
GOP Governor Criag Benson (after Democrat Gov. Jeanne Shaheen invented
them and tacked them at $6.00 per thousand valuation, all while she
doubled our state budget while she was in office).

Now, what this study really means is that people in republican states
figure out how to pay as little in taxes as possible. People in
democrat states stupidly believe it's their duty to pay as much as
possible in taxes. Most money coming from the feds going to the states
is the apportioned by per capita population, so it is irrelevant how
much each state pays in taxes.

Another thing it indicates is income distribution. Since almost half
the population pays absolutely no income taxes, this study can indicate
the states where most of the non-income-tax-paying person are, and that
they tend to vote for Bush. Elitist snobby east coast liberals turn
such people off.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development