[extropy-chat] Wired article on Drexler

natashavita at earthlink.net natashavita at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 28 14:00:44 UTC 2004

Spike wrote:
A passage that looked like it was from Amara, but sounded more like
Natasha:

"I'm not a fan of Ed Regis, and I have been disturbed by his articles and
books.  His book on transhumans was quite weak.  It was a book about
cryonics and nanotechnology and culture, not transhumans, per se.  I
wish he had not used the word "transhuman" so loosely, in deference to
FM-2030 who was teaching about transhumanity at the time Ed wrote this
book and who Ed didn't mention, but freely borrowed the ideas..."

>Ed Regis was at the first west coast nanocon in about 1990 I think
>it was.  The Mambo Chicken had just hit the presses.  That one was
>kinda fun, not terribly insightful.  James Gleick tried a futurist tone
>with Faster, another book that way missed the mark, which surprised me,
>since his other work was very good.

*Yes, you are correct.  I think Mambo was more about nanotechnology and
Eric Drexler and Keith Hanson and cryonics and it was light and fun. Before
that Ed's book "Are You A Transhuman?" was published and was so entirely
different than Ed's that it was almost funny.  Ed's written like Mondo
2000, and FM's being his practical guide to being transhuman.

Interestingly enough RU Sirius and Wes Thomas - the Mondo 2000 folks -
loved FM.  The world is full of all sorts of ironies! :-)

>Methinks the best mainstream press about transhumanism is still
>the stellar work The Spike, by our own Dr. Broderick.

It very well could be!

Natasha