[extropy-chat] antiaging paper

Joao Magalhaes jpnitya at verizon.net
Tue Sep 28 14:22:52 UTC 2004

Hi,

As I've said many times, findings in yeast do not necessarily imply similar
findings in mammals. There are many ways to extend lifespan in yeast and
yet these have not been implicated in mammalian aging--except perhaps
caloric restriction but even so the mechanisms of CR in yeast and rodents
appear to be different. Now, you do mention that the lifetime of rats was
extended by 50% but that is not in the papers you cite. Where did you read
the results from rats? There have been studies with SOD2 in mice and rats
but, as far as I know, these have NOT extended normal lifespan. You can
check out:

http://genomics.senescence.info/genes/entry.php?hugo=sod2

All the best,

Joao