[extropy-chat] Converging Technologies for a Diverse Europe

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 15:04:37 UTC 2004

--- Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <pgptag at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice and I fear realistic thoughts Bill. Given only these three
> choices, I would move off-planet and look for a planet where John
> Wayne, Walmart and the government cooperate to develop good options
> for everyone.

> > Europe - A neat, tidy place where everyone has a schedule of
> upgrades
> > provided by the government. To keep things fair everyone gets the
> > super-strength upgrade. Then when that is completed, everyone moves
> on to the next upgrade, and so on. There will be black market
> upgrades, of course, but they will treated as criminals.

I can see it now, where your government provided upgrades shut down
automatically if you spit on the sidewalk, or pay a waiter a tip
without giving the state its gift punishment tax. If, Marx forfend, you
express the desire that your kids get upgrades before the other kids,
you are labeled an atavistic and anti-social, and are thus committed to
a mental hospital for adjustment.
Anyone travelling to the US will need a mind-scan before they are let
back on the continent.

> > China - The Borg, obviously. A machine-like hive mind which sweeps
> all before it.

Provided they don't all die choking on their own coal smoke, could be.
The Extropy vs Borg war will begin. Of course, it will be fought in
Europe, as Chinese Borg hackers are able to easily phreak the
monocultural EU-OS body mods for fast assimilation. Europeans,
hamstrung by anti-agression circuits, plead to the US for help since
they can't fight for themselves, and thus, once again, european
stupidity will be the cause of yet a third world war.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)