[extropy-chat] antiaging paper

Joao Magalhaes jpnitya at verizon.net
Tue Sep 28 16:27:18 UTC 2004

Hi,

First of all, I must say that I appreciate some of Longo's reasoning. In
fact, he commented on my own research quite positively:
http://sageke.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2004/30/nf69 (warning:
subscription required). Yet I don't think he is talking about studies in
mammals on SOD2 but merely stating the fact that it is possible to extend
lifespan in rats. He is probably referring to the studies on caloric
restriction by other groups which indeed extended longevity in rats by up
to 50%. Yet his research on SOD2 and yeast does not have a parallel in mammals.

All the best,

Joao

---

Joao Pedro de Magalhaes, PhD

Harvard Medical School, Dept. of Genetics
Avenue Louis Pasteur, 77, Room 238
Boston, MA 02115
Telephone: 1-617-432-6550

http://www.senescence.info