[extropy-chat] Redistribution of wealth

Kevin Freels megaquark at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 29 14:25:43 UTC 2004

NO NO NO NO NO!
Deficits have nothing to do with tax cuts!
(This is oversimplified and for brevity I have left out the entire concept
of a broader tax base generating more revenues)
If you reduce your income by $10,000 per year, and you keep your expenses
down by the same amount, there is no problem. The problem is when you reduce
your income by $10,000 yr, then your kid needs emergency heart surgery which
costs you $100,000. You would have broken even for the year, but now you
have a $100k "deficit". The $10,000 income reduction did not cause the
deficit, the heart surgery did.
Why do so many people have trouble understanding this?
Of course, a person would be wise to save their money in a savings account
(or similar), but with government it is different. They should not take our
money and put it into an account for a rainy day. Nor would they. Whatever
they get they will spend. If there was a surplus, they would find something
else to spend it on. The voting people would make SURE that the "extra"
money was spent on some "worthy cause".
Because of this nature of our society, the only two options become deficit
or break even, and breaking even is impossible.