[extropy-chat] il papa's last rites?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 1 05:29:34 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > I heard they have given the pope his last rites.  But
> > what if he had been signed up for cryonics?...
>

> And what happens if you are given your last rites
> but you survive, and decide you really enjoyed those
> rites and want some more rites?  Do two rites make
> a wrong?  Are they really strict on the number of
> rites one can have?  And since they are performed
> by a nonprofit organization, can you rite them off
> on your taxes?

Only if you are a rite winger. Of course, catholics can confess every
day of the week. It's your rite. It's protestants that only get to be
born again once... a better question is: how can they signal that
they've picked a new pope if the Vatican is non smoking? Will the new
guy tolerate the popemobile or will he want a pope-utility-vehicle? How
many bets the new guy will be an American? If so, what credence is
there that one of the Mary prophesies from the early 20th kept secret
was that a pope 'from across the sea' would be the last pope? If he is
the last pope, would that be because of the Singularity?

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com