[extropy-chat] A case of self-deception?

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Fri Apr 1 11:34:04 UTC 2005

At 02:48 AM 4/1/2005, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> > At 12:35 PM 3/31/2005, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> > >A fascinating post on EconLog:
> > >http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2005/03/what_fools_thes.html
> > >
> > >Apparently after 9/11, trust in government rose. ....
> >
> > Er, the point of that blog entry is to *question* that conclusion.
> > The paper linked to claims people just interpreted a survey question
> > differently when it was placed in a new context.
>
>### Is this the case? In this post I find only a breakdown of the attitudes by
>political orientation but no reference to a framing effect. Do you have links
>to posts questioning the conclusion?

The first and main link in that blog entry is this:
http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu/pubper/pdf/pp134/july_aug_2002_pp7-10.pdf
wherein the conclusion is questioned.  (Surely you could find that yourself?)

Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323