[extropy-chat] That T-rex

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 06:23:36 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> These are the two chapters in the bible, the lyrical
> King James version that describe the behemoth and
> the
> leviathan.  What do they sound like to you?

     Heh. You know, when I first read those verses as
a kid, I kind of reached the conclusion that the
behemoth was a reference to a hippopotamus and the
leviathan a crocodile, but now that you mention it,
they DO sound like dinosaurs. Although the part of the
leviathan breathing flames doesn't quite fit that
either. *shrug* Who knows what Job or whoever wrote on
his behalf had in mind. Maybe it was pure poetry, but
it does sound like they were referencing something
real that people in that era and region might
encounter fairly commonly.
     "Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
      The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
      Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
      The frumious Bandersnatch!" :)

The Avantguardian

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson