[extropy-chat] Singularity Blues

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 16:11:48 UTC 2005

I think history shows that not only are humans more capable than cynics
think to handle change, actual change tends to be far less dramatic
than the cynics fear and the optimists hope for. Despite the
dislocation portrayed by Egan in "Singularity Sky", I have some doubts
that things will be so bad for us as we gradually ease into the event
horizon. Most people will choose to live their lives out as they always
have, with a few marked improvements, and change will happen, but
outside of those who fear change reacting more strongly to it, change
will happen and people will adapt because people have been adapting to
change for a century or more now. Change is. More Change is simply More
More.

--- Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:
> From: Giu1i0 Pri5c0
>
> > Wil McCarthy ... His views on the forthcoming (or not?) Singularity
> sre similar to my own: "And while the world on the other side of that
> event may look very different from the world of today, my personal
> prediction is that we'll still see ourselves in it, with habits and
> motives largely unchanged. The desire for comfort, for wealth, for
> entertainment and novelty and pleasure... these things will never go
> away. We'll just be richer, more powerful and wiser for our troubles.
> And what, exactly, is wrong with that?"
> http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue415/labnotes.html
>
> What's wrong is that humans aren't ready for prime time.
>
> Olga

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com