[extropy-chat] Appropriate list content

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Wed Apr 6 00:48:03 UTC 2005

Amara wrote, in "embedded in open hearts",

>(A story from this morning)

while simultaneously Avantguardian complained

>If it's ok for the old timers to post silly puns while relative new comers
>get blasted for posting descriptions of ancient prophecies that I had
>never run across before, its hard for me to figure out what is appropriate
>for the list.

Amara, thank you. Your occasional narrative postings are always welcome and
consistently interesting.

Avantguardian, I understand your confusion. This list, like many other
communities, treats old-timers and newcomers differently. If Oldster wants
to post something ostensibly off-topic, they are given much more leeway
than Newbie.

Amara, or Keith or Gina or Russell, have an established reputation, and are
regarded with respect and affection. Sharing a slice of their life or an
off-topic observation is tolerated and/or enjoyed, in part because they are
known, both warmly as members of our family and coldly as high S/N data
sources.

But: a disparity in treatment could drive off new people.

-- David Lubkin.